This organization was founded because of our children. We wanted to show them that if one can give back to their community in a way that has an opportunity to enhance the lives of everyone who lives in it, then it’s their duty.
Hence, the 2017 founding of The Shenandoah Film Collaborative, Inc., a 501 (3) c non-profit.
We have two areas of focus:
- Offer opportunities for residents to experience the wonders of film and filmmaking that is not a byproduct of Hollywood. We use our extensive movie catalog and connections with filmmakers to:
- Increase economic development for businesses
- Raise funds for non-profits or civic organizations
- Enhance educational curriculum for entities that have expressed an academic interest in filmmaking.
2) Raise funds and awareness for the Shenandoah County Public School System theater/drama-related programming.
Our area of focus is the following counties/cities:
In early November we host the Strasburg Film Festival. This is an annual event within the town of Strasburg, VA that encourages filmmakers to submit their works of art so that all people will have an opportunity to enjoy their creativity. When we mean “all”, we achieve this by keeping ticket costs low or offering free tickets to families who are on a tight budget.
All proceeds from the Strasburg Film Festival will be donated to the Shenandoah County Public School District. From there, those funds will be distributed to the middle and high schools across the county with the monetary donation focus being on creating or enhancing drama/theater-related programs.
We decided to use the word “Collaborative” in our organization name because it embodies what we aim to achieve – for us to become successful we need multiple parties to work together for producing an excellent product.
We want to show the next generation that there are many ways of expressing one’s interests.
Our organization serves from New Market to Strasburg and everywhere in between.