Strasburg, VA 22657
The following provides an overview for the Marketing – Graphic Designer fall internship position with the Shenandoah Film Collaborative, Inc.
The Graphic Design Intern will support the organization in the promotion of its products and services. In this role, you’ll contribute to maintaining the Shenandoah Film Collaborative brand through layout, design, and production of graphics. We’re looking for someone who is knowledgeable in Adobe Creative Suite programs (subscription provided to you), specifically Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop, along with pre-flight knowledge. This person will apply design knowledge and skills in the workplace. Some of the functions include:
- Update/create existing collateral such as brochures, flyers, invitations, banners, etc.
- Social media graphics – Create engaging social media graphics for Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter to promote various activities.
- Create posters and flyers and other items that we could sell as a fundraiser for the organization.
- Create crazy custom gear to sell in our online shop
- Resize banners and existing artwork for web use
- Design and work with the printer to create the film program book for the Strasburg Film Festival
- Provide day-to-day social media monitoring support; assist with building the online presence.
- Provide day-to-day social media monitoring support; assist with building the online presence through ongoing interactions with followers and fans
- Work in conjunction with the marketing – Outreach and Promotion intern for engaging graphics and supporting messaging.
- Assist with any other needs as it relates to marketing
During Strasburg Film Festival
- Assist team with graphics and imagery
- Assist marketing with merchandise sales
We’re looking for someone who is:
- Ready and willing to roll up their sleeves
- Can work with Adobe Creative Cloud
- Reliable and proactive
- Articulate and organized
- A strong writer and researcher
- Humble, resourceful and diligent
- Who can apply – Undergrad college students, rising juniors, and seniors
Shenandoah Film Collaborative Overview
The Shenandoah Film Collaborative, a 501 (3) c, all-volunteer, non-profit has two areas of focus:
1) Offer opportunities for residents to experience the wonders of film that cannot be found from Hollywood.
2) Raise funds and awareness for the Shenandoah County Public School System where the money would be used for theater/drama-related programming.
We were founded in September of 2017, and so far we’re in the middle of conducting our Seasonal Film Series, which strives to bring independent films to different locations within Shenandoah County. We’re a few months away from our second Strasburg Film Festival, occurring November 15 – 17th at:
- Box Office Brewery
- Town of Strasburg Municipal Building
In 2018, we’ve received over 4,500 submissions from over 110 countries to program our two organizational events. This year we’ve made the selection criteria a little more difficult and so far we’ve received over 2600 entries for both the film festival and our seasonal film series.
About the internship:
We’re looking for Fall interns in various areas of our non-profit to support the closeout of our Seasonal Film Series and Strasburg Film Festival. Even though there are different positions available, there may be cases where the duties of one role would cause them to work in a different capacity.
Any role should require the intern to live within the Northern Shenandoah Valley Area (Harrisonburg – Winchester), however, we’ll examine applicants on a case by case basis.
Interns are allowed to work remotely, as we will coordinate and communicate projects through slack.
Because we are a young organization, and the fact that we coordinate all information in the cloud, we cannot provide a laptop for the duration of the internship, and we ask if you could use yours. Though there might be some intern positions where the required role would need software that is outside of the standard google drive applications, that is when the software would be provided to you.
The fall internship duration would last between September through December, however, those times would vary depending on the requirements needed for you to obtain college credits. This internship would be unpaid (see below), and we anticipate the effort to be between 10-15 hours per week.
NOTE: We have the infrastructure available to really create a robust online shop, and if we’re able to get sales, then all of the interns would get a healthy cut of the profits.